08 9328 7535 & 08 6255 7776 [email protected]

Brand-new Graduate stream for WA State Nomination

On 25 September 2018, the State Government of Western Australia announced the much-anticipated Graduate Occupation List (aka GOL), which brought a variety of occupations now eligible for WA State Nomination via the Subclass 190 and Subclass 489 visas.

It is well-known among many in the migration-advice industry that since March 2017 the WA Government only made State Nomination available to a very limited number of occupations in the medical field. This was done through what is called the WA Skilled Migration Occupation List. But now, all one needs to access the new Graduate Occupation List is a higher education qualification gained in WA, that is, either a PhD, Masters, Honours or Bachelor degree.

But as with most things immigration-related in Australia, things aren’t always as simple as they might first appear – just having an occupation on the new list isn’t going to get you State Nomination. As you would expect, there are a number of additional requirements: one of them is quite evident from the name of the new stream itself – you first need to have gained a higher education qualification in WA. You also need to have completed 2 years of full-time study in WA at a WA university. You may also be required to have work experience in your nominated occupation, a 12-month contract of employment and finally, meet the English requirement.

While these requirements may appear straightforward at first, what constitutes “full-time” and a “WA University” isn’t always clear, and there are very specific guidelines for what a valid contract of employment is. You may also need to prove your work experience. And needless to say, of course, you must meet the Department of Home Affairs’ requirements for the grant of the visa. Taking together all these requirements, all of a sudden, things are now more complex than you initially thought.

The introduction of the Graduate Stream is excellent news for international graduates of WA universities wanting to obtain Australian permanent residence without having to go through the traditional independent route.

If you believe you are eligible for the new Graduate Stream, or would just like to know whether you may be eligible under the new stream and/or for any other Australian visa in general, an immigration law expert will be in the best position to advise you of your situation and eligibility. Rothstein Lawyers has the expertise to give you timely, accurate advice; and also help you put forward the best possible application to maximise your chances of success.

Contact us today at 08 9228 0300 or send us an email at [email protected]

Welcome to our website,

we are now part of

Go to Site